Tuesday 17 July 2012

Not Long To Go !

Well, after having his prostate chopped out, his pelvic innerds fried and his testosterone blasted, Ady finally finishes the Casodex in a couple of weeks on 1st August.
Thank God for that cos all we hear about these days are his sore man boobs and his excuse for everything he does wrong is “Well it’s my hormones!”
In fact, the other day, I came in from looking after my elderly man in the evening and the girls were upstairs doing their homework or so they say, so I shouted “Hellooooo, anyone hooome”. Silence....so I shouted again.
I’m not sure what homework involves using headphones full of music in your ears, but hey, what do I know!!
Then I heard some sort of grunting sound from the sitting room. The sort of grunting sound only men make when they have been woken up, then a “Hello”
So I said back “Everything OK?”
He replied “Hello....hello.....oh bugger”
I thought to myself, ‘That’s it, Ady has lost the plot, finally...the end is coming’
I went into the sitting room to find that Ady had fallen asleep on the phone mid conversation to his brother. According to Dick (his brother) he was busy chatting away and realised that Ady wasn’t replying, and then heard snoring...he tried shouting at him down the phone but ended up hanging up. ‘Must have been a riveting conversation then’, I chuckled to myself.
Ady blames it on his hormones, and Dick believes him. I’m not getting involved!

Oooh, I must tell you a bit more about my choir I joined. I did tell you a bit about it a few blogs back, so I will try not to bore you too much, but....I was asked to do a flash choir a town or two away. Oh Em Gee, it was SUCH fun!!
We had secret meetings for a few weeks on Tuesdays to practice our songs, which was A Stevie Wonder number ‘I just called to say I love you’ and that Jar of Hearts song by whatshername.
Then, on the Saturday, we went off to Waitrose. There were about 30 of us altogether. The manager was in on it by the way and we dotted ourselves around the shop.
I hung around the fruit and veg with my friends Gill and Maria who are both as mad as hatters.
Our cue was an announcement on the tannoy for a Mr Wonder to come to customer services and then we started with Stevies number, walking through the shops singing to as many men as we could and ended with the Jar of Hearts one by the cafe.
Ady and the girls refused to come and watch cos they said it would be too embarrassing, cheeky buggers.
It is something I will remember for a long time and just brilliant fun!
We are setting up a travelling flash choir, so be careful people, I could be singing in a shop near you !!!

Now, another thing I must tell you about, is my allotment!
Oh my goodness, this is another thing that’s SUCH fun. I am growing SO many things!!
We have been eating lots of new potatoes and salad. My cucumbers are the biggest I have ever seen, and my tomatoes are coming along nicely.
I have managed to grow lots of strawberries and raspberries too. In fact the other day for pudding, we had chewy in the middle meringues that I made with Daisy and Matilda’s eggs, with raspberries and strawberries from the allotment and cream.....from one stop up the road.
As Steph is allergic to apples, pears, plums and cherries, I thought I would grow her some nice peppers. She loves peppers!
I was really chuffed with myself as I watched them grow in their growbags in my greenhouse. Especially as I grew them from seed.
I thought to myself ‘bloody hell, I’m getting really good at this allotment lark!’

In fact, I was so chuffed with all my watering, weeding and growings, especially my peppers, that I made Ady come down to look.
As I was wandering around, generally surveying all my growings, I heard Ady say “What the bloody hell have you got cabbages growing in here for?”
“What are you talking about” I said “ My cabbages are over there, next to my broccoli”
“No” he said “I mean these cabbages here in the greenhouse”
“Oh dont be stupid, they are peppers” I said “I’m growing them for Steph”

“In all my years of gardening, woman, I have never seen a pepper plant look like a cabbage!”
“Well” I said, “It said peppers on the packet, so they are peppers”
“You should have gone to spec savers then” and promptly threw my cabbages out of the greenhouse!! Can you bloody believe it!! Four of them!!
The poor things, that were doing so well, are now outside and Ady went off the next day to buy me some pepper plants.
“These are what peppers look like” He said. I spose the leaves are a bit smaller, and the more the cabbages grow, the more cabbagy they look, but I’m not telling Ady !

I didn’t realise that cucumbers grow quite so many cucumbers on each plant. I thought they only grew one or two per plant, so I bought five plants. Christ, I am awash with cucumbers!!
And what with my six tomato plants, it’s a bit of a squeeze in my greenhouse. Then I decided to buy a melon plant for £2.99 in Lidl. Bloody hell, I didn’t realise that that grows all over the place with hooky twine things and everything. Blimey, if each flower make a melon, we will all end up with the chronic shits after a week !

Never mind, my peas are in the freezer all ready for Christmas J

3 comments:

  1. That sounds SO funny - the pepper mix up, I mean. I bet they had put the wrong seeds in the packet. And I LOVE the idea of the flash choir. There is nothing like a good sing to improve the mood. Not long now until the beginning of August. Fingers crossed that Ady starts to feel a bit better after that.

    Sue (Dollysox from the H&H Forum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googled the flash choir and you lot really were very good! were you wearing the grey cardigan?
    Glad Ady has finished the treatment, won't be long before his energy starts to return..x Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice very nice! I do not have time to write, but I like you know that a lot of your type to address different topics. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete